John E. Baylor Memorial SCHOLARSHIP
John E. Baylor 1922 to 2013
Dr. John Baylor is best known for his passion for and support of forage agriculture. This passion began on his parents’ New Jersey farm, and it grew into a life devoted to forage-livestock programs at the local, state, national, and international levels.
Dr. Baylor served as the state Extension Forage Specialist at Pennsylvania State University where he developed a model extension program and started the Pennsylvania Forage Council.
He was widely recognized for leadership roles in professional and public forage organizations, including the American Forage and Grassland Council, National Hay Association, Atlantic Seedsmen, Certified Alfalfa Seed Council, and International Grassland Congress. Dr. Baylor was also the founder of the Forage and Grassland Foundation which sponsors this scholarship.
The Forage & Grassland Foundation is offering scholarships in the amount of $1,000 for college students entering their sophomore, junior or senior year with a major related to the growing and/or feeding of forage to livestock.
Who should apply?
This scholarship is for undergraduate college students who:
- will be in their sophomore, junior or senior year during the semester for which the scholarship is awarded;
- have a major related to the growing and/or feeding of forage to livestock
- are attending an accredited 4-year university in the United States
- have a grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4-point scale (or comparable average on a different scale).
What majors might qualify?
Universities have various names for their majors so an exact list of acceptable majors cannot be given. But the following list gives an idea.
- Plant genetics
- Rangeland ecology
- Plant pathology
- Dairy science
- Animal science
- Soil science
- Biosystems engineering
- Agricultural engineering
- Agricultural sustainability
- Ecosystem sciences
Regardless of the major, student must show a connection to/interest in the growing and/or feeding of forages to livestock.
When are applications due?
Completed applications are due on April 1 of each year.
How do you apply?
By completing an application form: (PDF Version)
The application form indicates where completed forms should be sent.
When will the scholarship be awarded?
The scholarship will be awarded by August 1 of each year.
To support the future education of
individuals interested in pursuing studies in the forage livestock profession,
contributions to the John Baylor
Forage & Livestock Scholarship fund
All contributions are tax deductable and 100% of contributions will be applied toward scholarships.
Please mail contributions to:
University of Kentucky
1100 South Limestone
Lexington, KY 40546-0091
Watch the AFGC Video Channel
- What is the American Forage and Grassland Council
- BMR 6 Sorghums "My Cows Love It"
- Using Brachytic Dwarf BMR Forage Sorghums to Bridge the Extremes
- Herbicides Options for Forage Sorghums
- John Baylor Tribute "A tribute to a true pioneer, leader, and legend"
- Click here to join today online!
- Click here to download a Membership Application.
- Click here to view the Corporate Support Brochure including information on benefits of membership and/or support.
- We hope you will take full advantage of the services offered as an AFGC member. If you have any questions or need assistance with the website please contact the AFGC office at 800-944-2342.